Click above for a BOSS Overview
Automation to Optimize Quality, Productivity & Costs
MSA has been providing Blending Optimization Systems in the metals industry since our group's
founding in 1982.
MSA uses a state-of-the-art, mixed-integer linear approach to solving the blending problem. This
technology provides the ability to solve situations that other vendors cannot handle, or handle
through non-optimal workarounds.
MSA's applications have been designed with a Service Oriented Architecture focus, allowing our
systems to easily integrate with our clients' existing infrastructure. Our reusable engineering
orientation also allows our applications to be implemented in the most recent, or clients'
preferred technology and database platform.
Software Suite Models
Advantages and Features
- Single Heat Charge determines least cost combination of materials to produce
a given grade
- Multi-Heat Campaign Optimization determines the optimal allocation of materials
over an entire schedule
- Purchasing Planning determines the necessary materials needed to produce
a production schedule, considering on hand inventory, an anticipated revert stream and
- Alloy Additions Calculations determines the additions required to a molten
bath to produce a given steel grade
- Under Crane Loading Optimization determines the best replacement material
to use as an operator is loading a scrap bucket
- Marshalling Yard Planning determines what materials should be loaded into
rail cars for a specific time/frame schedule, and an indication of when switching should
Download Blending Optimization Flyer (PDF)
- State-of-the-art mathematical formulations via Lindo, a 3rd party solver
- Very fast solution times
- Cost savings of multi-heat vs. single-heat optimization
- Sensitivity analysis information (reduced costs, dual prices)
- Ability to limit the number of materials in the solution
- Ability to use materials in discrete quantities (i.e., unit weight)
- Minimum use amount constraints
- Ability to solve polynomial and non-linear fractional constraints
- Assistance with diagnosing infeasible results
- Ability to filter material candidates by a variety of criteria
- Multiple user selectable inventory (on-hand, market, unlimited) and costing
(actual, replacement, standard) options
MSA Partners with Harsco Metals
Worldwide logistics and environmental services group, Harsco Metals Group Ltd., has signed a global licensing agreement with MSA for utilization of their Blending Optimization Software Suite (BOSS™) software as part of Harsco Metals' specialized scrap management solutions.
Harsco Metals already provides scrap management solutions to steel producers around the world, supported by its proprietary ScrapMaster system for scrap inventory management and quality control.
MSA's BOSS module assists steelmakers in optimizing the scrap mix in the meltshop by determining the least-cost combination of raw materials needed to produce a given heat, lineup, or production schedule, taking into account all of the various operating and quality constraints.
BOSS also provides the ability to do "what-if" scenarios and to analyze the costs/savings associated with using alternative materials, energy consumption, density and other constraints.
For more information about Harsco Metals offerings, visit www.harsco.com.